After Exposure of an Impacted Tooth
- Do not use straws for drinking, spit, or drink any carbonated beverages for the first 24 hours.
- For pain management, over the counter medications should be taken before prescription pain relievers (i.e. children’s Tylenol and Ibuprofen/Motrin/Advil… Use both as directed on bottle. Acceptable and advisable to use both medications together if needed). If prescribed, narcotic medications may be taken as directed for “breakthrough” pain relief, but may slow reflexes.
- Place an ice pack over the site of surgery 20 min on and 20 min off for the first 8 hours as tolerated. After 48 hours, use warm applications 20 min every hour until difficulty opening is gone. Swelling usually peaks around 24-36 hours after surgery and may last several days.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth until the morning after surgery, and then gently rinse with warm salt water four times daily for 1-2 weeks, and if prescribed, Peridex, gently rinse twice daily starting the morning after the procedure. Keep tongue and fingers away from surgical site for at least 2 weeks
- Normal oral hygiene, brushing, flossing, etc., may be resumed the morning after surgery, being careful around any sutures and the surgical site. Gentle brushing around the chain and wounds is important to keep food debris, plaque, and bacteria to a minimum.
- It is important to eat as soon as possible. A soft diet is recommended for the first few days (i.e. eggs, fish, mashed potatoes, etc.). Avoid very hot foods and very hot liquids for the first 24 hours. Once diet is advanced, make sure not to eat anything too “chewy” which may catch the chain and pull it away from the orthodontic wire and gum tissue.
- Some oozing after surgery is normal and may continue for several hours. If oozing seems excessive or persistent, remove any clot from around the teeth and bite on gauze for 45 minutes by folding the gauze, placing directly over the bleeding area, and biting down firmly. It is pressure that helps control the bleeding.
- Please refrain from strength training type exercise (weightlifting, etc.) for at least 5 days. Light cardiovascular exercise may commence after day 3 if feeling comfortable.
- If there are any questions or problems, please call the office right away. The doctor will return your call as quickly as possible. Please keep your phone line free for the return call. Also, have your pharmacy number available.